By now, you guys should know that Microsoft will release Windows 10 just around the corner. Well, 29th July 2015 to be exact.
With that, Microsoft will offer to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users FREE UPGRADE for 1 year..!!
Hey.. just 1 year? Are you sure? Free..???
That’s what has been circulated in the world wide web since the announcement by Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Executive Vice President of Operating Systems 21st January 2015. So, from 29/7/2015 until 28/7/2016, users currently using Windows 7 and 8, will get a chance to upgrade their systems to Windows 10, free of charge.
What happens after the 1 year period expired? Do we have to pay for the software? Is it going to be a subscription based OS? That what keeps bothering me. I mean, what next? Uninstall the OS and goes back to your trusty ol’ Windows 7?
Much debate has been going around over this. Some say you have to pay. Some say no. Digging deeper into the web and searching all over the news, one site have shared some light into this much debated question. According to PCGamer.com, they have clarified with Myerson that the OS is indeed free. There’s no subscription model for update, support or continuing to use the OS.
It means, it’s totally free guys..!! So, don’t forget to download your free copy when it comes out. And continue to use your Windows 10 OS after the 1 year period expires.
Still don’t get what it means? Ok, (from my understanding), it’s like this.
– Microsoft launch Windows 10 on 27 July 2015
– They offer the software as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. Which mean they are currently using the software during/after the launch date.
– The free offer, where you can download the software, is 1 whole year.
– You can start to download it on July, August, September, January 2016, or anytime that you wants, but within the 1 year as I mentioned earlier.
– After the 1 year period ended, which I estimated on 26 July 2016, there’s no more free upgrade.
– Windows 7 and 8 users who failed do upgrade during the period, will have to pay or purchase the Windows 10 upgrade.
– Those who downloaded the software during the 1 year period, can continue using it on July 2016, August 2016, January 2017 without any extra charges.
If you still can’t believe it, or still in doubt. Well, we just have to wait for the official launch, and get the free copy and use it. Only about a month left. So, no worries. Use it for one year, and then see what happens next.
Oh, in case you didn’t notice, there’s a Windows 10 Insider Preview that’s available for download in case you want to try it first. Just head over to Microsoft’s website to grab a copy. The ISO file is about 3.73 GB for 64bit and 2.76 GB for 32 bit. I’ll share with you my experience with it in my next post.
Hurry, grab your copy of the sofware HERE